An example of formal reasoning
- If you send me an email, then I’ll finish writing the program.
- If you don’t send me an email, then I will go to sleep early.
- If I go to sleep early, then I will wake up feeling refreshed.
- If I don’t finish writing the program, then I will wake up feeling
p: “you send me an email”
q: “I’ll finish writing the program”
r: “I’ll go to sleep early”
s: “I’ll wake up feeling refreshed”
2. ?q ? ?p From 1 by rule R
4. ?q ? r From 2,3 by Hypothetical syllogism
6. ?q ? s From 4,5 by Hypothetical syllogism