vegetarian mushroom bacon stuffing
Vegetarian with bacon? We forgot to buy the bacon. Didn't miss it.
- 3 c chopped celery
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped (maybe 3 cups?)
- 3 T olive oil
- more plus spices
- 1 lb white/portabello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 T dried sage leaves
- 2 t dried thyme
- 1 t salt
- 3/4 t ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 c vegetable broth, heated (1 c canned vegetarian, 1 1/2 c from concentrate)
- 8 oz whole wheat stuffing pieces
- 8 oz ordinary stuffing pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- Since there is no bacon fat to sauté the veggies, try the olive oil alternative. Soften
those celery bits (about 10 minutes).
- Then add in the mushrooms and spices and continue another 10 minutes or so until they
- Mix this stuff into the bread cubes in a large pan.
- Mix in the broth until evenly wetted down.
- Beat the eggs and baking powder and stir them in well. Add some more broth if the
stuffing seems a bit dry.
- Dump into a buttered/cooking sprayed/otherwise greased large rectangular pan and bake in
preheated oven about 1 hour until cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Apparently this comes from Bon Appetit November
1995. With some slight modifications other than forgetting to
bring home the bacon.[!]
- Choose your baking pan wisely since there is a good chance the oven will already be a
bit crowded by the presence of a large turkey, and they have to spend quality time
together in there.