We keep making this over and over again. Ani's sister Nora sent it to us, who
knows where she got it from. Doesn't really matter since it hits the spot every
time and were we smug people, we could feel morally superior for an evening
since it is vegetarian, vegan even, but we are not, smug people. We are also not
vegetarian or vegan, but we are sympathetic. Regardless of the food politics,
good is good.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 peppers, any color, diced small
- 3 cans of beans you like rinsed well
[like red cannellini (kidney), borlotti (cranberry?), black beans]
- 14 oz. can small diced tomatoes [or crushed tomatoes]
- 2 T (heaping) tomato paste
- 1 T (heaping) pepper paste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 t paprika
- 1 T chili powder
- pepperoncino [red pepper flakes, just a bit to give it an edge].
- Saute the onion in olive oil in a large pot until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Then add the peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the spices and let cook 2 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the tofu and crumble is with your hand into the
pot and mix.
- Let cook 2 minutes and add the washed beans.
- Once warmed, mix the tomato and pepper pastes with a bit of water (1/2
c?) and add to the pot.
- Let simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve with chopped avocados, tomatoes, plain yogurt, whatever, but don't
skip the avocados.
- Can't think of any.
- Illustrations available.