The dr bob supply cabinet ran out of the boring white rice leaving behind only at least
45 minute cooking without prep time brown rice and it was home from work ready to eat
time. Risotto promises great flavor in the mouth in less than 30 minutes flat. A little
prep time, a little sauté period, under 20 minutes boiling, finishing touches, chow time.
Apparently we liked this leek, carrot, celery, and cheese improv or we would not have
- sauté group
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced lengthwise
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 T butter
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 carrot, food processed into bits
- 2 celery stalks, food processed with the carrots
- 2 c arborio rice
- 1 mushroom veggie broth cube, or the equivalent
- 5 or 6 cups of boiling water
- 3 T gorgonzola, chopped
- 3 T taleggio, chopped
- 2/3 c freshly grated romano cheese
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Start the water boiling in a tea kettle to be ready to add a bit at a time to the rice.
- Sauté the shallots, garlic and leak in the butter and olive oil.
- Add the carrot and celery bits and sauté them a minute or so.
- Stir in the arborio rice and cook a minute.
- Then add in a cup of boiling water and the veggie broth cube or equivalent.
- Stir and add 1/2 c boiling water at a time for the 18 minute risotto cooking phase.
- Finish by removing from the heat and mixing in the cheeses and black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Once the water starts boiling, turn down the heat to low for the water or you will
evaporate a large fraction before finishing. Like for all the other risotto recipes.