little armenian rings (easter cookies: zadgva kahke)
This is a tasty little treat that is not too sweet, but satisfies the munchy
- dry stuff
- 5 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c sugar
3 t (heaping) baking powder
- 1 t mahleb
- wet stuff
1c milk (water if no milk around), slightly warmed
- 1 c butter (2
- 1 c vegetable oil
- finisher stuff
1 egg, beaten
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Let rest for a half hour or more.
- Make 1 inch diameter dough balls.
- Roll each one with flat open hands until
it is about a 5 or 6 inch long cylinder and make it into a little doughnut by
twisting it into a ring and pinching the ends together.
- Place equally spaced on cookie sheets.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated 300° oven for 20
to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Secrets of Cooking has two
variations of this theme, both with sesame seeds but Isgouhi dropped the seeds
because they get in your teeth. The same reason I rarely eat popcorn.
- Illustrations available.