The lentil soup recipe came soon after the lentil bulgur pilaf incident. bob had
already had eaten a Saturday breakfast/lunch/whatever by the time he dropped by the
in-laws for a little family shopping spree at Bitar's,
south Philly's Lebanese middle eastern food store, just across the block from the two most
famous cheesesteak vendors: Pat's and
Gino's. [Our personal favorite, Jim's at 4th and
South St, is farther north.] Barkev tempts bob with an offer to heat up some homemade
lentil soup, which bob tries to resist but quickly gives in to. And even goes for seconds.
Good stuff. bob took the rest home for later.
- phase 1
- 1 c lentils
- 5(?) c water
- phase 2
- 1 lb spinach, washed, chopped small
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped small (1/2 in)
- 1/2 head garlic, cleaned and pressed
- phase 3
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1/2 t red pepper (Middle Eastern)
- 1/2 mint
- salt (to taste)
- phase 4
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 12 big onion, chopped
- Boil the lentils in water for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then add the spinach, potatoes, and garlic and continue boiling until lentils and
potatoes are tender.
- Then add the tomato paste and spices and boil another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onion until golden brown and then stir in the soup. Boil 5 to 10 minutes
- This is a bit imprecise. 5 to 10 minutes? 5 cups of water? Needs some experimentation.
Let us know.
- Illustrations available.