moist red baked chicken alla nora
There is no single chicken alla nora. She uses no recipes, measures no ingredients, and
likes to try different spice mixes. bob liked this one and asked her to at least list what
went into the mix with a vague indication of the amounts that only had suggestive value.
And then soon after attempted a recreation. Kind of like all the cold fusion people who
went into action after the first big announcement. Except for the measure of success. The
resulting chicken, while not exactly the same, was still good, and that's all that counts
in the kitchen. Cold fusion, on the other hand, well, the cake did not rise in
anybody else's kitchen so to speak.
- 2 lb skinless chicken (about 3 unsplit chicken breasts)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1/4 t thyme
- 1/8 t cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 t cayenne red pepper
- wet stuff
- 1 T sweet red pepper paste
- 1 T tomato paste
- 3 T olive oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice (from 1 or 2 lemons)
- 1 t vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- oven prep
- 1/2 c water
- Clean the chicken. Remember that some unacceptably large fraction of US
mass market chickens come home with salmonella contamination.
- Mix the dry stuff in a large bowl and then add in the wet stuff and mix
- Slime the chicken around in this marinade (use your hands), cover with
plastic wrap, and marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
- Put the chicken in a baking dish and add the water, then cover tightly
with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a 350º preheated oven for 1
- Nora used hot red pepper paste, which we like most other Americans did not
have, so we substituted the sweet red pepper paste plus cayenne red pepper
- This was so tender and moist, it just fell apart with the fork. Yum!