cold sesame asparagus
We had this at a friend's dinner and clamored for the recipe. Neither they nor we
exactly followed the recipe.
- 2 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 1/2 T soy sauce
- 1 t sugar
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 T sesame oil
- Blanch asparagus in rapidly boiling water, until just tender, about 1 minute.
- Drain and immerse in ice water.
- Drain again, pat dry, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- No more than 1 hour before serving, add asparagus to the soy sauce mixture and toss.
- Chill until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes.
- We didn't cut the asparagus nor did they.
- We also did not have rice vinegar or sesame oil and so substituted champagne vinegar
which we did have and hazelnut oil, which seemed like a good choice because of past
experiences with hazelnut-butter sauces for asparagus.
- We also skipped the chilling step, out of laziness probably.